People with intellectual disability have rights.

ometimes people with intellectual disability need an advocate to help them speak up for themselves and make sure they are being treated fairly.

There are disability advocacy organisations in each state and territory that can help you. Learn more about finding an advocate at Disability Gateway. 

How can I find an advocate?

Visit Disability Gateway to find an advocacy organisation near you or you can call the Disability Gateway on 1800 643 787 if you would like to find a advocate near you.

Self-advocacy for the national disability insurance scheme (ndis)

IMHA advocates are on your side. They are independent from hospitals and mental health services. Our service is free and confidential.

Disability Advocacy Network Australia (DANA)

Visit DANA to find an advocacy organisation near you.

Disability Advocacy Finder

The Disability Advocacy Finder is a tool made available by the Department of Social Services (DSS) it lists the contact details and locations of disability advocacy agencies. 

Making a complaint about goods or services

How can I make a complaint?

The Council for Intellectual Disability has a fact sheet tells how you can make a complaint:

  • in writing
  • over the phone.